What is a logo?
In simple words, a logo is a symbol made up of graphics and texts to represent a company. The purpose of a logo is to make your audience understand what your company is all about- its products, services, values and business ideology. A well-designed logo helps you create the brand identity of your organization and helps you stand out from the crowd.
This symbol is so powerful that it helps in forming brand perception, and also influence purchase decisions of your potential customers. Thus, a good logo design is imperative in forming a strong brand identity of a company in the market. But did you know there are different types of logo? Let us take a look at different types of logo and take your pick.
- Lettermarks- Such logos are typography-based logos that is made up of few letters generally a company’s initials such as IBN, NASA, CNN to name a few. The lettermark logo is all about simplicity and makes your company name easy to remember. This logo particularly works great with companies that have a long name.
For instance- National Aeronautics and Space Administration it is too long and difficult to remember as compared to NASA. We all agree that NASA is easier to remember, pronounce and has become a brand identity now. So, if your company has a long name, you can give a thought about lettermark logo.
- Wordmarks- Wordmark logo is a font-based logo that focuses on the name of the company not only initials as in the case of lettermark. In such logos picking the right font is extremely essential as they make the essence of the entire logo design. So, you need to pick a font that reflects your business’s personality.
For Example-If you have a fashion brand then going for a trendy, elegant font that gives a high-end feel makes the great option whereas legal firms and business agencies prefer conventional heavier text fonts that convey authenticity, security, and credibility. Google and Coca-Cola are so far the best examples of wordmark logo.
- Pictorial Marks- Pictorial mark is popularly known as a logo symbol, is a graphic based design, an icon or an image that represents the business in the best possible way. The image-based logos are catchy, instantlyrecognizable, and makes a strong brand identity. However, the challenge with pictorial mark logo is that you need to pick an image very wisely because it defines your company’s entire existence and will become synonymous with your company name.
The well-known brand Appleand Twitter are the finest examples of pictorial mark logos. Though these brands are quite well-established, their logo symbol alone has become so popular and extremely recognizable. Although pictorial logos make a great option, it can be tricky for new companies or businesses that are having a hard time in creating a brand identity of their company.
- Abstract Logo Marks- An Abstract logo mark is similar to a pictorial logo but the difference lies in the selection criteria of an image. In the abstract logo design, instead of having a recognizable image like a bird for twitter or an apple, it’s an abstract image or form that represents your brand. The good thing about abstract logo marks is that they don’t restrict you to stick to a recognizable image rather gives you the liberty to create something totally unique that represents your business.
Adidas, Nike, and, Pepsi are some famous examples of abstract logo marks. Through an abstract image combined with color and form, you can create a distinctive logo design for your business.
- Mascots- Mascot logo are illustrated characters or fictionalized characters that are often colorful, funny and represents your business or brand. This created character acts like your brand’s spokesperson or as an ambassador for your business. Some of the best examples of mascot logos are KFC’s Colonel, this illustrated character has become a symbol of brand recognition.
Mascot logos make a great choice for companies that want to create a friendly and wholesome atmosphere around their brand especially if your target audience are young people, kids or families then go for mascot logo.
- Combination Mark- Name says it all! A combination mark is a logo that comprises of both an image or graphic design along with the text. There is no hard and fast rule, the picture and text can be put together in many ways such as picture and text can be arranged on top of each other, or can be integrated together to create an image.
Burger King and Lacoste are two well-known examples of combination mark logos.
- Emblem- The last logo we have on our list is emblem logo. Such logos consists of a font inside an icon or symbol such as seals, badges, and crests. These logos have an attractive appearance and are often the most preferred choice of organizations, schools, govt. Agencies, and even auto industries.
Starbucks’ famous mermaid emblem and Harley-Davidson’s iconic crest logo are some famous logos that fall into this category. However, one downside of emblem logos is they are less versatile as compared to other logo types and that’s why it is difficult to replicate them across different branding medium.
Now that you are aware about different logo types, it is time to learn how you can create a one that properly represents your business.
- Unique Concept- Your logo design needs to have a unique concept that clearly conveys your brand message. Your logo is the first introduction to your company, so it needs to be original and creative so that it helps you stand out from your competitors in your niche.
- Right Color- Your color choice can make or break your logo design. Each color conveys a different meaning and evokes a particular emotion. So pick a color that goes with the overall messaging and branding of your company. Make sure you do not include too many colors, stick to maximum one or two colors for your logo.
- Expressive Font- Font is an important element of logo design and plays an important role in the overall look and feel of your logo design. So, you need to pick a font that brings out the personality of your company effortlessly. Remember good font can highlight the key points of your product or services whereas an inappropriate font can prove detrimental to the image of your company.
- Durability- Don’t make your logo inspired by the ongoing design trends as we all know trends are temporary. A logo design that is made totally around the trends will look good only for some time but will lack efficacy in the long run. However, you need a durable logo to create a strong brand identity of your company. So, come up with an innovative idea to create a timeless logo that does not get affected by the passage of time.
- Versatility- Versatility is another ingredient of a great logo design. To ensure that your logo is versatile, you need to create it in the vector format so that it can be scaled to any size easily without affecting the quality. Vector format is the best option for creating logos as it is compatible with almost all image formats including jpg, png, gif, tiff, etc.
Though it is highly recommended to hire an experienced graphic designer for your logo design if you have creativity, sound knowledge of graphic designs, and an eye for detail then you can use online logo creator tools to design one for your business. These tools are easy to use and do not require any prior designing experience.
Just keep the above tips in mind and I am sure you will be able to come up with a stellar logo design for your company. Happy Designing!