I’ve been a blogger for over 10 years now and in the past decade, I’ve seen the way internet has evolved. From personal blogs to dedicated business websites, the internet domain has seen a tremendous change. Owing to this rapid growth in technology, e-businesses and online startups have been on a rise. One of the resources to help these business establish themselves has been a Content Management System (CMS). CMS’s help users design, deploy and manage a website in a hassle-free manner.
In this article, I’ll be comparing the three popular open-source CMS’s viz. WordPress vs Joomla Vs Drupal.
Overview of WordPress, Joomla and Drupal
- WordPress is one of the most popular and widely used CMSs. It powers over 30% of websites and has a market share of 59.9%.
- It is a simple, flexible and a user-friendly platform with an intuitive dashboard.
- WordPress is easy to install and the most suitable CMS if you’re starting as a beginner as it requires little technical knowledge. Also, WordPress Hosting being easy to understand.
- It is a customizable CMS having more than 4000 + themes and over 55, 000+ plugins.
- Some of the firms using WordPress are CNN, Forbes, Wall Street Journal etc.
- With a market share of 6.1%, Joomla powers 3% of the websites and ranks next as the second most popular CMS.
- It provides ease-of-use, extensibility and structural stability.
- Joomla has an active developer community and provides an established, flexible and powerful UI.
- It is slightly tricker to install as opposed to WordPress but requires minimal technical knowledge.
- Joomla Hosting is suitable for building e-commerce online websites as well as social networking sites.
- Some of the firms using Joomla are: Linux.com, Harvard University, Cloud.com etc
- With a market share of 4.1% Drupal and powering over 2.3% website all across the globe, Drupal is the third most preferred CMS.
- It is a powerful, flexible and efficient CMS and can be used for high-end enterprise websites.
- Drupal provides a back-end framework and is quite popular amongst the developer community.
- It is an enterprise level CMS that can be used for content-driven websites with huge data and clientele.
- Some of the firms using Drupal are Warner Bros, The White House, etc.
Let us now look at the CMS comparison infographic comparing WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal for easy understanding.
Choosing the Right CMS
There is no such thing as right and wrong CMS, it all depends on the kind of website you are running.
- If you are a newbie and are running a simple business then WordPress is the best choice.
- If you’re confident your website will grow significantly or you’re an established website whose requirements aren’t being fulfilled by WordPress you should opt for Drupal.
- Lastly, if you’re powering a social network website or are confused about whether to migrate from WordPress to Drupal or not, Joomla is a good middle ground.
At the same time, you may have questions like is migration from one CMS to another possible or can you build your own CMS? Then the answer is a ‘YES’. Also, the process is quite relatively simple. If you have the right service provider then they can help you with hassle-free migration.
So there you go, a comprehensive CMS comparison of WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal to understanding CMS’s better. Hope this helps you make an informed choice depending on which CMS best fits your needs. If you have any queries feel free to drop your suggestions in the comment box below.
There is no ads to display, Please add some