Cloud hosting is transforming not just the hosting industry but creating waves the world over but does this mean you should move from Dedicated hosting to the cloud? What are some important things you need to consider of both before making this decision? The cloud has its own benefits over dedicated hosting in some cases:
- Price: Dedicated hosting requires a heavier down payment and requires a team of trained professionals to handle. Cloud providers offer a ‘pay as you go’ or ‘pay for what you use’ payment policy which is ideal for companies who dynamically expand and contract depending on the situation and need or seasonal traffic, freeing companies from a long term contracts required by dedicated hardware hosting providers.
- Hardware: Cloud allows you to crunch large data and deploy numerous virtual machines without actually using large amounts of hardware.
- Scalability: If you are a retail brand selling umbrellas and raincoats, your business will see a spike in sales during the monsoon months and during the ‘dry’ months, little or no sales. Cloud automates your bandwidth requirement and auto scales without hassles.
- Technology trends: Technology trends such as BYOD, Gamification, Big Data Analytics, PaaS, Hybrid Cloud, DaaS are at a preliminary development stage. If you’re looking to implement these latest technologies in your business you will need cloud infrastructure to implement it.
- APIs: Cloud enables some APIs to launch virtual machines, monitor resources and virtual machine output and generate performance reports without conventional hardware, network management systems and datacenters. Most cloud servers provide robust APIs with details to manager assets running in the cloud.
On the other hand, dedicated hosting also has the following benefits over cloud. If you do decide to go with cloud hosting, here are some of the advantages you might miss out on:
- Stable environment: Dedicated hosting is more steady and offers the ability to build robust server instances for larger computing needs than cloud. You can maintain large databases and high performance computing environments for your business needs. Dedicated hosting offers predictable, stable performance with higher security.
- Customisation & Control: Dedicated servers allow you to customize your plans according to your needs unlike cloud hosting. Not just that. With dedicated hosting, YOU are in control as you are the administrator which is not the case in cloud hosting.
- Economics: While ‘pay as you go’ may seem economical in the present, in the future, the summation of the costs may be equivalent or sometimes even greater than the cost of a dedicated hosting package.
- No shared resources: Dedicated servers ensure all the resources are for your business alone without sharing with other customers. Cloud hosting on the other hand gives you access to a portion of the virtual machine is shared with several other customers.
Hopefully, you can make a more informed choice if you’re considering either the cloud or dedicated hosting. Choosing the right one for you depends on the nature of your business, your budget and your specific needs. At ResellerClub, we’re looking at offering cloud hosting soon but for the time-being, do check out our plans on dedicated hosting here.
If you have anything more to add in favour of dedicated hosting or cloud hosting (or both), feel free to share it with us in the comments below!
There is no ads to display, Please add some