There are several things one needs to take care of when starting an online business. One of the most important things while setting up your business is a well designed website. And though the look and feel of your website matters a lot, what many people tend to overlook is the hosting.
Good web hosting is equally important as is the design of your website. Good hosting means good page load speed, reduced downtime and support. But with so many hosting options available, how do you decide which is the one for you?
In this post, we’ll compare two popular hosting services, Reseller Hosting vs VPS Hosting and define the parameters on how to decide which web hosting is best suited for your online business.
Reseller Hosting, as the name suggests is a type of web hosting which benefits a Reseller business owner. In simple words, the Reseller (owner) of the business purchases bandwidth and hard disk space and rents out portions to different customers. Thus, in Reseller Hosting the owner allows different users to host their website on his hosting service where the owner, acts as service provider. Reseller Hosting therefore, is a reasonable way to host many websites on the internet and in turn generate revenue.
Advantages of Reseller Hosting:
- Reseller Hosting is easy to setup and manage. Also, you don’t require thorough technical knowledge.
- It provides a customizable control panel as well as several themes. With this type of hosting, the Reseller has control over the customer’s control panel. Nevertheless, the customers too can personalize their panel as they wish.
- Reseller Hosting is affordable with varied plans to choose from. Also, upgradation is easier. There also is an option to choose between Linux and Windows.
- With Reseller Hosting, you can manage all your website using one single control panel, WHM – Web Host Manager, (these websites can be yours or your customers’).
VPS Hosting (Virtual Private Server) is an intersection of Shared Hosting and Dedicated Hosting, i.e it gives the best of both the worlds in terms of hosting services provided. VPS in simple terms can be said to be a physical server that is divided into multiple virtual compartments.
In VPS, the resources like CPU, RAM, disk space and OS aren’t shared like other hosting services. These independent compartments help in maintaining the performance of your website. Owing to this, you as an owner get full root access of your server though you are sharing the main server with other users. Another feature is, VPS comes with WHM (Web Host Manager) using which you can create multiple accounts and this can be used for reselling. Also, if you are a web developer or designer it can be used for powering the heavy built client websites and web apps.
Advantages of VPS Hosting:
- Here one server is split and distributed amongst several users, each having their own set of resources.
- VPS Hosting is cost effective and allows users to easily scale and upgrade their hosting plans whenever required.
- It is fitting for website owners who want a customizable environment and do not have much technical knowledge.
- With VPS Hosting you have more control over your server as you have full root access. You can modify name servers, install software etc.
The Core Difference – Reseller Hosting vs VPS Hosting: Which to Choose?
The choice of opting for Reseller Hosting vs VPS Hosting solely depends on the kind of online business you are running. If you’re planning to start a reseller business, then Reseller Hosting is the most logical choice.
Whereas, if you are an already established web business and have started gaining more traffic, such that your current hosting is unable to handle it, then it would be advisable to switch to VPS Hosting.
Herein, lies the core difference, Reseller Hosting allows you to run an online business where you provide hosting service to your customers, while in VPS you could be running any kind of business and only need to purchase the hosting to manage the websites you have.
In a nutshell, both the hosting services cater to a different set of business audience and are equally good. With ResellerClub, upgradation as well migrating is an easy process with good support and management. Should you be confused, you can start with VPS Hosting and later on migrate to Reseller Hosting if you change the niche of your business or the number of websites you own grow.