One of the first things I do when I open an email in my mailbox is to check the sender’s email ID for a mention of the company he / she works for. While I’d certainly like to believe it doesn’t change anything if I recieved a mail from a firstname.lastname@example.org or a email@example.com let’s be honest, it does.
So what makes the difference? What’s so appealing about a professional email address? Why does it automatically convey the trust that it does? As a web designer or a developer you also have the liberty to act as a consultant to your client and ensure he sees the value of a website and a strong online presence. This article could help you show your clients just why professional email addresses are so important. Let’s try and understand what professional emails do for our businesses and how you can market this to your customers as we go through the following topics:
- Why should you get professional email
- How can professional email help you succeed
- What should your professional email address look like
Why should you get a professional email?
- First impression, best impression: Like I pointed out earlier, a professional email address automatically gives off the right first impression. A generic email address may conjure an image of an amateurish, inexperienced operation and give room to question the authenticity of your customer’s brand. To avoid this and show he’s serious about his business, a professional email address is a good start.
- Build your brand image: A professional email address conveys that your customer’s brand is established and gives it a corporate image.
Additionally, having a professional email allows your clients to have accounts like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com which further add to his brand image to make him look professional. He could also mention his ID on offline channels like business cards, flyers, brochures, event standees, etc.
- Communicate trust & credibility: If you were to share your personal information or business details, would you rather trust a firstname.lastname@example.org or a email@example.com? Chances are you’d go with the latter. This is primarily because a branded email address conveys credibility and security, reassuring you that you could perhaps trust the sender to be genuine.
- Affordable & easy setup: Professional emails can be set up with almost no effort through a domain provider or web hosting provider. At ResellerClub, we offer G Suite by Google Cloud at $5/mo and can help you easily set this up for your customers’ websites. We also have Enterprise Email and Business email options.
How can professional email help your customer succeed?
Now that you know the importance of branded email, let’s explore how it can help your customers’ business succeed, practically.
- Promotes your customer’s company with every email: With every mention of your client’s company in his emails, the brand value of your customer’s brand increases unlike with a generic email brand like yahoo or gmail. It’s a great way for him to build brand awareness and market his company without spending excessively.
- Increased productivity with the cloud: Today, almost every business relies on things being instant – instant replies, instant chats, instant payments. In such a fast paced world, access to technology from anywhere and everywhere becomes vital to businesses. A missed or delayed email could mean loss of business.
However, with cloud based email solutions like G Suite by Google Cloud, your client can be connected to his work from anywhere. Additionally, Google Drive, Hangouts, Calendar allow you to share files, set up video conferences and schedule meetings with ease. Such real time communication & constant access to his business helps keep him ahead of his competition and in turn, increase productivity.
- Easily manage teams & operations: It can be quite a hassle to have points of contact changed with every new employee who joins a team or a company. For a client who replaces an employee in a team, say, once in 6 months, he will need to give a different contact to his clients twice a year!
Fortunately, business email hosting services offer scalable and flexible ways to create multiple accounts under a single domain – for example, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. This is great to manage operations. Additionally, customers can directly contact the relative department.
- Security with business email hosting: Professional email hosting comes with security features that protects your client’s email from spam, phishing attacks, malware attacks and hackers. Additionally, with full control of the security of the email system, your customer will have the freedom to change passwords, install security plugins, delete accounts etc.
- Avoid being marked as ‘spam’: A great advantage of a branded email address is you avoid being marked as ‘spam’ as often as your domain mention is a trust marker. It also keeps you out of the ‘trash’ and ‘junk’ folders.
What should a professional email address look like?
As I pointed out earlier, a professional email address is fairly easy to recognise and therefore is very important for business communication and job search. So, what does a professional email address look like and contain? There are a couple of variations your customer can choose from which keep it relevant his identity, his profession and / or his industry in his address.
- Industry & Profession relevant: While a firstname.lastname@example.org may be the ideal example of a professional address, one can be a little informal depending on the industry you work for. For example, a email@example.com also works well to communicate the profession of the employee as well as his name.
- Short & Memorable: An email address is best remembered if it is short and preferably, standard. By this I mean, you could keep the same format for all the employees within a single organisation. Many organizations follow this, although there are some legitimate concerns about the email IDs being ‘guessable’ which might open it up for potential spam or unwanted cold emails.
- Include a surname or initials: To avoid confusion with more than one individual with the same first name in office, you could suggest that your customers include surnames or initials of surnames of their employees. For example, you could have a firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to differentiate.
A professional email address is smart, unique and spells business. It’s an absolute necessity for your customers in any business or industry. Get Business Email now on the ResellerClub platform.
If you have questions on how better to market to your client, leave us a comment in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to get back toy.