Migrating any of your digital apps is a challenging task considering the fact that the existence of your business may depend on them. Yet, at some point in your business cycle, you will face the conundrum whether to migrate to Cloud or continue using the current infrastructure. No doubt migrating is a complicated process, but if done correctly it has the potential to open up new opportunities. So, it is hardly surprising that an increasing number of companies are migrating their websites, data, applications, and other components to Cloud-based hosting.
What Is Cloud Migration?
Cloud migration is a process where a company migrates the existing infrastructure such as data, websites, etc. from a physical server inside the organisation to a Cloud-based infrastructure. Some of the top organisations use Cloud providers such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure. While these companies provide many applications for integration with Cloud, pricing may make it out of reach for most companies.
In this article, we will discuss how migration of your website to Cloud Hosting can impact your current SEO efforts.
Benefits of Migrating to Cloud Hosting
Migration to Cloud Hosting can have immense benefits for your business. Cloud Hosting can solve the most common problem of scaling the infrastructure as your company expands. With Cloud Hosting, adding storage space or additional processing power is only a few clicks away. This makes your business agile in responding to increased demands. Migrating to Cloud Hosting will also improve the operational efficiency of your organisation as your teams will become more productive with cloud-based solutions and apps.
Most top Cloud Hosting service providers in India offer robust security for Cloud Hosting. At ResellerClub, we give top-most priority to your security. Cloud Hosting will also allow you to undertake faster application implementation and deployment. This leads to cost saving with respect to hosting and further savings when you need to scale. If you want to understand in greater detail what is Cloud Hosting and how does it work, you can check our earlier blog here.
Problems in Cloud Hosting Migration
There are some potential risks when you are migrating to Cloud Hosting, but those could be mitigated if you follow the right procedure and take all the precautions. Here are some of the problems that are generally faced during the migration process:
- A significant drawback in migrating to Cloud Hosting could be the storage of sensitive data and adhering to compliance requirements.
- Deploying some of your proprietary software and applications could also be a problem due to the legal requirements.
- One of the other major concerns businesses have while considering migration is, losing SEO that may have been developed with rigorous efforts over the years.
SEO Benefits of Cloud Hosting
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a time-consuming and a long-drawn process which can have a huge impact on your business. Optimizing your website for the search engines allows a potential customer to find your website easily. There are only a limited number of results on the first page, so companies invest a lot of resources to ensure that their website is listed on the first page. That is easier said than done as SEO is a complicated process and a whole lot of other aspects may hamper it. Let us look at some of the top hosting related problems that may hinder your SEO efforts.
- Page Loading Speed – Loading time of your website has a huge impact on the SEO. A fast loading website will always have the edge over a site which takes longer to load. A Cloud Hosting service will allow you to ensure faster loading times. If there is a sustained traffic increase, you can efficiently allocate more resources without any problem.
- Downtime – The downtime of your website will also affect its SEO rankings. So, if you are using a hosting provider which has frequent breakdowns leading to downtime for your website, you can bid goodbye to your SEO rankings. On the contrary, with Cloud Hosting the chances of your website being down are negligible.
- Server location – Google and other search engines now emphasize on location-based results. This is based on the assumption that a user may find the results from its immediate vicinity more helpful. As a business, it is vital for you to take into account if the location of the server may hamper your SEO.
Protect your SEO
There is absolutely no need to be worried about your SEO while migrating to Cloud Hosting. If you follow a systematic process and opt for a reliable hosting provider, you can be rest assured that the efforts you put in developing the SEO will not go in vain. If you are a beginner, the best solution for you is to merely rehost the existing data applications on the Cloud. This does not require you to modify code or undertake any complex tasks. We provide free data migration services with our Cloud Hosting packages.
The second option is to keep your core applications unchanged and use cloud-based frameworks. This will allow your developers to take complete advantage of the cloud. The final and most complex migration process is to modify the architecture and code. This entails scrapping the original code and creating a new architecture from scratch. An alternative approach is to discard the current code and develop a new one to leverage the benefits of Cloud Hosting to the fullest.
To decide which approach is ideal for your company, you can contemplate which applications need to be on the Cloud. It is entirely possible that some of your apps may give better results if left in-house while the other could work better on the Cloud. The onus falls on you to take a call after carefully evaluating the pros and cons.
Before you start the process of migrating your website to Cloud Hosting, you have to check for a few simple problems that may arise. You should check for hardware obsolesce, research licensing issues, check the SSL & certificates’ compatibility, audit IPs, evaluate access control decencies, and last but not the least, choose the right Cloud Hosting platform.
While these may seem like simple steps and obvious approaches, adhering to them will ensure that your SEO will not be the same, but even better with the new Cloud-based hosting.